Saturday, July 9, 2011

My spot between George Bush and Sarah Palin: Bob's bookshelf

Yep, if you look closely you will see that's my Call of a Coward wedged there in between Sarah Palin and George Bush, a placement that suggests two things about my husband: he honors me, and, he doesn't read many memoirs. (I think the two fictions are included just to distance from the hard core Bible study books that line the rest of his selves.)

As proud as I am to have my book published, I certainly don't put my achievements in the class of my bookshelf company. I do, however, boast that my God can make do with little as well as with a lot. All He asks is that we trust Him.

The Bible is full of examples of  people who were "the least" and yet God was able to do mighty things through them. I love the confidence Jonathan has in God when he says to his armor bearer, "Let's go over to the Philistines; it may be the Lord will work for us, for there is nothing to prevent Him from saving by many or by few."

To each of us is given a purpose and a gift, all ultimately to the glory of God. Some may accomplish great things that affect many, but most will live quiet lives of unacclaimed faithfulness. Helen Keller captured the sentiment of many a heart with her observation, "I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble."

It only matters that we do that which God has purposed for us. First to love Him. And to know however lofty or little we may feel our impact is, we can proclaim as did King Asa, "It makes no difference if those you help are mighty or powerless--You are God alone."

Meanwhile, I'll enjoy my sliver of a spot on Bob's bookshelf, and I will pray that the telling of God's faithfulness in my life brings glory to Him, and encourages any of you who read it.






        

               

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you