Saturday, February 12, 2011

The 37,000,000,000 Mile Marker

 

I love the outsets despite the fear and uncertainty that attach to all beginnings. I have already begun a thousand lives this way.”—Rainer Maria Rilke

Recently I completed approximately 37,000,000,000 miles of this earthly journey we’re on. (I’m hoping most of my readers are word people rather than number ones, and won’t figure this out.) Being blessed with good genes, I’m holding up well and look forward to putting many more miles on this body before trading it in for the model that will last forever.

A birthday, to me, is much like a new year. In that interface between the old and the new, I take time to look back and examine the nuggets of truth and wisdom, which like a collection of smooth stones, I pocketed during the year. One I’ve carried over to this year’s collection is from Oswald Chambers.

 “Our problems arise when we refuse to place our trust in the reality of His presence.”

Such a familiar fact that its impact is almost lost in the retelling. The reality of His presence when I haven’t felt, heard, seen or been awed by it in days, weeks, or maybe months. The reality of His presence when I see horror, unfairness, sadness, and despair. The reality of His presence when it escapes me even when I cry, pray, strive, and clamor for it.

Yes, Lord, may I trust, believe in, and act upon the reality of your presence.

I don’t know what this year holds. The global upheavals don’t bode well for Israel or us, and the prosperity of wickedness in the form of human trafficking makes me retch. But I have purposed to set my face at the start of this year’s journey on words given to me in two separate birthday cards: HOPE in the LORD. The one who hopes in the Lord is surrendered to Him and trusts Him implicitly. It is a birthday prayer I wish to pass on to you. . .

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit—Romans 15:13

Uh, if you figure out what all those miles are about, you can share where they come from but keep the tally to yourself, please!







1 comment:

  1. There's nothing like seeing a well-maintained, vintage vehicle still on the road. It speaks to a loving, devoted owner and car that is still doing what it was meant to do. All that car stuff aside, you have many more miles of adventure in store.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you