Monday, December 2, 2013

When your air mattress deflates


When I woke in the middle of the night bobbing on my mattress like a cork in high seas and saw that my feet were elevated above my head level I figured something was wrong. As I tried to get out of bed, my husband woke and asked why the mattress was so shaky.  Being heavier than I (thank goodness) he was in an even worse state—his upper body almost on the floor. He looked like the low end of a teeter-totter. 

“We’ve sprung a leak,” I said as I gathered up my pillow and headed for the little guest room with the twin bed.

I know it sounds ridiculous but for the past nine months we have been sleeping on an air mattress. Granted it is a heavy duty double-high one, nevertheless, it is an air mattress. On the floor.  

Thing is, we have an old house and the stairway to the upper rooms is too narrow to get anything bigger than a twin bed up and around the corner. So, since we gave my father-in-law our bed and bath downstairs, we have been in a semi-nomadic state as far as sleeping. For a while we slept on our new Pottery Barn pull-out couch in the office, but let’s face it, no matter how nice the couch, it isn’t a bed.

When that didn’t work we bought a good air mattress and moved upstairs to the recently-vacated-by-our-daughter room. Now, Pa is almost 94 and some days looks like there won’t be any more days, but I think he has Duracell batteries (or the Lord is graciously giving him extended time)in his pacemaker because he is going strong, causing us to rethink our sleeping arrangements.

I had been holding out on buying a bed because the next bed I want is a king, (which I can’t get upstairs) but ending up in the middle of the night on the deflated end of our air mattress forced a decision.

The good news is that no one buys beds just before Christmas so the clerk was willing to negotiate with us(something like the Christmas tree salesman because we were the only people out in the torrential rain before Thanksgiving wanting a tree that day).

So, we bought another twin, moved the guest-room one in beside it, and finally, after nine months, slept in real beds that work as a king. (I almost bought champagne.)

Some things are just worth it. Even when they aren’t in the plan.

I am truly thanking God I have a real bed.

Meanwhile, I have done a lot of reading in November—aside from trying to write my first murder mystery—and have lots of my reader review books to pass along.  So, please come back on Friday because I am going to post a major book review(s) and offer lots of books for free. 

Who says recycled gifts are bad?

Wishing you, no, praying you, blessings of His grace,

Marcia

5 comments:

  1. Rejoicing with you in your real bed!! Sometimes it really is the most simple and basic of things that give us delight. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcia:

    Enjoy your earned comfort, and bravo to Pa. Blessings to all.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love recycled books! :) And I look forward to reading your murder mystery one day.

    Congrats on the new bed. It's the little things in life, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the tone, delivery, message, humor and visual of this! LOL. We knew that "Pa" had come to visit...but oh my, who knows all the little behind-the-scenes changes this brings with it?!*!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is why I don't like a air mattress. I recently want to buy a new memory foam mattress from the SweetNight mattress in a box online store.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you