Sunday, May 13, 2012

Do not despise the day of small beginnings

When I stood in front of our Vermont country church of thirty-odd people and suggested we go on a mission trip, I never imagined what God would do with that desire and handful of people (the story, Call of a Coward to come out in August under Thomas Nelson).

One of the first to volunteer was a solid Vermonter named Ernie.He cooked our breakfasts over camp stoves and Baja sunrises, fashioned animal balloons by the hundreds and loved on kids in a world far different from the one he was familiar with.

 Today his daughter lives in Africa, and although I am sure it must be bittersweet for her parents, she feels that this is where she belongs. She is not a mission or organization, she is just one whose heart is to serve. I am reproducing her facebook post, in case someone reading this is willing to invest in one, the least of which...


I am not a ministry or a non-profit, I am just one person trying to help. My husband and I are already sending 3 kids to school (not including our own!), and financially we can't do any more. But these kids are so desperately needing help, I said I would at least try to see if I could find some kind-hearted people out there that can give them a hand-up in life. There are no overhead costs, and no administrative fees, so 100% of any money given will go straight to the purpose intended. The US dollar is very powerful in Kenya, and a little help can go a long way. The cost for a complete school uniform is $12 USD. The cost of school fees for one 3-month term (each school year is divided into 3 terms) is $20. These are real living, breathing kids, and I invite anyone to make the trip to Kenya and see them for yourselves... see their home-life, see their school, and see their beautiful smiling faces. If anyone is interested please email me at actualmaureen@yahoo.com If you can't help financially, maybe you could share this on your facebook page?

(Girl at top) My name is Cynthia Ambulwa, and I am 9 years old. My mother has died of AIDS. My father is also very sick with HIV/AIDS. He is no longer able to care for me, so I have come to Imanga to live with my aunt. My aunt is a widow with 9 children. I used to go to school, and I am in the 4th grade. I am slightly undernourished, but otherwise my health is good. My favorite food is rice, and my favorite activity is running. I am helping my aunt around the house by carrying water from the well, caring for the other children, helping to prepare the food, gathering firewood, and working in the garden. I would like to go back to school, and my dream is to become a teacher, however my aunt can not afford to pay for my uniform or school fees.

 
My name is Samuel Mutuli, and I am six years old (I will be 7 in June). I have never known my father, and my mother has abandoned me. I live with my elderly grandmother in a mud house with seven other children. I am small for my age due to malnutrition and my health is poor. I have chronic allergies, and I am severely allergic to bees. (I nearly died recently due to an accidental bee sting.) I like to talk A LOT. I like to pretend I am driving cars, dig in the dirt, and play chase with my friends. My favorite food is chicken, but we only get to eat it on special occations like Christmas. I do many chores around the house including carrying water from the well, caring for animals, weeding in the garden, and watching the smaller kids. I do not own any shoes, and I have never gone to school. My grandmother is a widow and she is unemployed. I would like to go to kindergarten, but my family has no money to pay for my uniform and school fees.
 
My name is Sylvia Mbaya, and I am five years old. My father has abandoned the family. My mother, my baby brother and I live together with my elderly grandmother in a two room mud house along with five other children. I had a twin sister, but she died. I am small for my age due to chronic mal-nutrition, and I have recently received treatment for worms. I am shy and quiet at first, but once I get to know you I blossom like a flower. I like to sing, play hide-and-seek, and dig in the dirt. My favorite food is chicken, which we only get to eat at Christmas. I do many chores around the house. I carry water from the well, take care of my baby brother, sweep and run errands. I do not own any shoes, and I have never gone to school. My mother is not able to read or write, and she is not employed. My grandmother is sometimes employed as a farmer. I would like to go to kindergarten, but my family has no money to pay for my uniform and school fees.


2 comments:

  1. Such a moving story, Marcia. I shared it via FB and would love to help them in some way. Thank for making their story known to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Impressive. God can take a little and make it huge (loaves and fishes). I can't do much more than pray, but that I will do. May God send many to help this cause.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you