Friday, June 11, 2010

Government acknowledges afterlife

I received a wonderful offer in the mail informing me the government had approved a stimulus package where people 62 and older could receive money today and pay it back "after they are gone."

Although a bit distracted by the label "senior," and the warning that this might be my last "bite at the apple" to get money out of my house, I was impressed by the acknowledgment that I would still be doing things "after I was gone." And I admit, the enclosed sample check for $108,590 and the opportunity to "enjoy my golden years with financial independence were enticing.

Play now, pay later. Yes, the letter went on to say, my stimulus would have to be repaid, but not to worry. After I croaked, the already 100-year-old house would be sold, taxes, fees, and interest paid, and remainder (?) passed on to my heirs.

Not being savvy on the wisdom of reverse mortgages, I was surprised  to see I agreed with several points in this solicitation:

Yes, there is an afterlife, and I expect to still be doing things "after I am gone."
And yes, there are consequences for what we do now, and a day payment is due.
And yes, others are affected by our choices.
But no, I do not want to leave my children the wreckage from a life lived carelessly.

Hoping not to stretch the analogy too far, I propose that Jesus has given me a kind of reverse mortgage on my life. He has paid my debt in full by canceling out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against me. (Col. 2:14) No longer do I have to live under the burden of never being able to repay my debt. 

And no longer do I have to leave my children the ashes of a life lived carelessly. By God's grace, I can leave a legacy of works of faith, labors of love, and steadfastness in our Lord Jesus Christ. (1Thess.1:3)









3 comments:

  1. That's great, Marcia. "Such a deal!" Your kids are fortunate to have you as a mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcia, I am finally getting caught up with email, and have just finished reading your blogs. They are awesome! I see why you are an award winning author! I hope you get your book published, and I would like to buy one of the first copies! Love to you and Bob!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoying reading your blog (I have to admit, I am new to "blogs" but in an effort to get to know the people I am in fellowship with - and wanting to get with the "times" I am branching out - and I love your insights and your "way with words"!
    I do have to say that I am fearing I am very carnal - the first thing I noted is that you are no where near age 62 - and am amazed that you didn't acknowledge it!
    Looking forward to keeping up with you - both inside and outside of our church environment - let's enjoy the journey together:)
    Barb

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you